STAGE 1: INVESTIGATE
Design Problem & Brief
You are required to design and make an automaton using a variety of the workshop tools, machines and equipment.
Your Automata will need to:
- Be visually stimulating,
- Captivate and intrigue the viewers,
- Have a minimum of 3 mechanical mechanisms
Your research needs to focus on two main areas - Mechanical Mechanisms & Existing Automata (see below for details).
Task 1: Mechanisms Research
Download and complete the gaps in this document: Mechanical Mechanisms Research - Use a software of your choice, it can be presented as a slideshow, spreadsheet, written document, etc.
Where to find information:
- A good website to start your search is http://technologystudent.com/cams/camdex.htm
- Also check out this page of exemplars...
Task 2: Existing Automata
Use the internet to search for a range of mechanical toys/automata that appeal to you. Your research must:
- Have a minimum of 12 sample images of existing automata
- make note of input & output motions produced by each automata,
- Attempt to identify which mechanisms were used to produce the movement.
- Have a brief description of what the automata does and why it appeals to you.
Task 3: Classroom Quiz
Using what you have learned while completing task 1 & 2, I will talk more about these mechanisms in more detail during class and how to apply these to your own designs. Once I feel that you have all got a solid grasp of this theory you will take a quiz to assess your knowledge and understanding of this.