Architecture is a huge topic to cover in one unit and university students spend about 5 to 7 years studying this topic to become professional architects. As such, you will be guided in what research you should complete - your research is to give you a better understanding about why houses in general are built in a particular way and for what reason.
This research will focus in the following main areas and what you discover will help you to better understand why houses are built in a particular way. This knowledge will then help to guide you in the process of designing and developing your own ideal living space based on where in the world you have decided to live.
- Geographical influences - Impact climate has on house design (Hot & Humid, Hot & Dry, Temperate, Cold)
- Solar Radiation - positioning house to benefit from the suns radiation
- Windows - a balancing act between providing light and saving energy
- Basic functions of key rooms in the house and how this affects their size (what furniture goes in these rooms and their dimensions),
- Room flows for a successful floor plan,
- Roofs - Types, the main functions and structures
From the Menu, read and complete each of the Design Communication, Architecture, Research Tasks - Geographical influences, Solar Radiation, Windows, Basic Room Functions, Room Flows, and Roofs Assignments.