Service Learning Unit
During the project you will be working in teams to design and manufacture a product to benefit and improve the quality of life for the local Indonesian community.
In the process of completing this project you will learn about:
- How to use the stages of the design cycle to a develop solution that solve a real world problem,
- You will collaborate to identify and analyze to elicit the needs and wants of the orphanage in order to develop a useful product that is functional and aesthetic,
- You will reflect on this data, research and collaborate to produce a range of product ideas,
- You will present your finalized concepts to the client to gather reactions and insights in order to further modify and improve your design,
- You will work collaboratively to manufacture your product,
- You will install and evaluate the usage of the product “on site”,
- The properties and characteristics of a range of different materials in order to select ones that are most appropriate for the intended purpose,
- A wide variety of different wood-work and metal-work manufacturing processes, techniques, and finishes.
Design Problem & Brief
You need to work in a group to design and manufacture a product to benefit and improve the quality of life for the local Indonesian community. You will treat the service organisation as a client and you will follow the same process that a professional would go through.
To start, you need to analyse the situation. To develop a product that meets the design brief and is fit for purpose you need to start by eliciting the needs of the client. To do this you need to analyze the situation by making observations, by interviewing the client and other people there(remember though, they may not realize that they have a need for something) and by researching additional areas in order to design a high quality product.
Prior to the initial visit, you will design a series of questions that you would like to be able to answer. These questions should be designed to elicit any needs they may have. (Please see the analysis worksheet for more details).
The research stage of a project is where the design team ‘collects’ all of the information that they will need in order to design and develop a product that will fully satisfy the needs of the design brief.
In reality, the research stage continues throughout a project as unforeseen questions sometimes arise as progress is made in a project. However, this should be minimized and research at this preliminary stage should be as thorough as possible.
You will collaborate in your groups to record your research findings. You will then work individually to report these findings to the teacher (Please see the research worksheet for more details).
In your groups you will collaborate to discuss how your analysis and research has highlighted potential products that you would like to design solutions for.
You will then work individually to draft 4 designs for these solutions.
You will then share your ideas with the rest of your group to elicit feedback and generate discussion as to how the ideas can be blended to form one final design. (Please see the initial ideas document for more details).
Your group will then use CAD software to create a 3D model of your final design. This model will then be presented to the client and a selection of the people at the organisation to generate feedback.
Based on this feedback, you will modify your 3D design.
Once finalized, you will produce a cutting list specifying all of the parts needed to manufacture your product. (This stage MUST be reviewed and approved by your teacher before progressing on to the manufacturing stage).
You will collaborate to manufacture your final product. Try to spread the work load, I will be watching to see that you are all contributing equally throughout this make process and your grade will be reflected by this.
Once the product is completely manufactured, you will install it at the service organisation and evaluate whether it fulfils the design brief.
Write a detailed evaluation that reflects on your final product. Use the evaluation prompt sheet given to you to write this.
Make sure to include photographs of your final product.